Friday, August 13, 2010

Summer vs Winter

I hate summertime. Absolutely, positively hate it. There are a few things that make it more bearable, but not many. Not too long ago someone challenged me, in the midst of all my whining about the season, that they would remind me of this when next winter rolls around. Go right ahead! I'll take winter anytime. And that's even after this last winter we had, which was pretty intense.

I hate the heat. There is not a lot of fun that comes from sweating and having one's undergarments stick to them. I hate picnics. Again - where is the fun? All I see are flies and potential salmonella poisening. If there's enough wind to make the heat bearable, then paper plates and potato chips are flying around. In mid-August, the hottest time of the year, the ragweed blooms and I'm a sniffling, sniveling, snotty mess until it freezes. I hate that everything grows and the weeds soon overtake my yard. I hate the dirt that gets tracked into my house. This year, my first year of not homeschooling year round, I'm finding that I even dislike the lack of schedule.

But there are some good things about summer. And to be fair, I'll list them:

1) summer shoes, and along with that, cute summery tops and capris
2) laying curled up in bed with one's husband, underneath a ceiling fan, with central air, and drifting off to sleep with just a light blanket and sheet
3) the drowsy, post-day-at-the-pool feeling
4) not having to hunt down mittens for little hands
5) not having to bundle up and risk death by simply going to get the mail
6) thunderstorms (as long as they aren't accompanied by a tornado that blows your house away)
7) corn on the cob

That's all. Nothing else is good about summer.

Now, also to be fair, winter has its drawbacks, too. I don't think anything hurts worse than a bitter north wind biting at your cheeks. It's a bit of a pain to have to bundle up to go anywhere. It's annoying when you have made plans and a blizzard gets in the way (like Christmas this last year). Losing electricity to an ice storm is horrible. And I'm not a big fan of driving on ice and snow.

But, winter has:

1) Christmas, and for me, my wedding anniversary
2) beautiful white snowdrifts
3) early evenings in
4) a great, cozy wardrobe
5) no sticky, I'm-absolutely-going-to-die heat and humidity
6) hot, hot, hot bubble baths
7)awesome blizzards
8) the popping of a roaring fire (as long as it's not your house that's roaring and popping because of the Christmas tree that caught on fire)

I do like winter. But truth be told, if I could live in a permanent state of autumn, I would. That, truly, is the best season of all. I won't say spring because I have come to abhor the mud that comes with it. There's nothing to fault about fall, though. It's the changing of the wardrobe, crisp air, back to schedules, the smell of leaves burning, and football nights. Paradise!

No comments:

Post a Comment