Thursday, September 16, 2010

Writing Wow

I meant to comment about FW in my last post but forgot. What I was going to do was to moan about the new and final level I am in. Last week I entered at the Masters Level for the first time. As soon as all the pieces were up I read every single one in that category. While I didn't think mine was any worse than anyone else's, it sure wasn't any better. Masters is where the best writers end up. So I reminded myself of that repeatedly this last week and did my best to prepare myself for the reality that it would probably be weeks, if not months, before any of my pieces would place.

But at the clock edged closer and closer to 9 am today (the time and day they would post the weekly winners) I found myself getting antsier and antsier. I am SO pathetic when it comes to FaithWriters! But to my absolute surprise and delight, my story placed second! And then, when I checked the Editor's Picks I found that I placed second there, as well (out of 107 entries)! So, I'm getting published for the fourth time!

And I got another piece of encouragement (if that's the right word) today. I posted on Facebook about my win, although I hesitated. I am afraid of sounding like a braggart. I'm genuinely pleased, but there's a line that can easily be crossed where I could appear too pumped up on myself and my abilities. So I tried to word it carefully, and of course, I immediately got encouraging, congratulatory replies from my friends. I ended up getting into a discussion with one of the moms in my homeschool group about what "next." It was the same stuff I've expressed here before - knowing that the day is coming that I need to step outside of the comfort zone of FW, but not knowing exactly where and how to make that step. Well, she immediately sent me a link that she had been given. Evidently, the Des Moines school system offers numerous classes throughout the school year, on all kinds of topics - kind of a "continuing education" type thing (no credit hours, though). And one of the classes they are offering in late Oct. is about taking that next step in writing - how to submit your work, where to submit it, how to write a query letter and synopsis - practical know-how stuff. This sounds like exactly what I need!

It does cost $25 which is the only reason I hesitated at all to immediately sign up. Paul seems to think it's a good idea, so I'll probably do it.

I wonder what's going to happen down the road with my writing...

3 comments:

  1. The Banner is the weekly magazine of the Christian Reformed Church. I think you should submit your portfolio to them. They do have a fiction section. If you google: the banner magazine, it comes up first.
    Keep up the great writing. You are talented for a reason. God will show you why.
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way when it comes to FaithWriters. I can't wait till Thursday to find out who won and what the new topic is. I too am new to the Masters level. It was a scary move up there, but it is encouraging to get an EC from there. It makes me think that maybe I belong. Congratulations on getting the most "points" on Jan's EC list! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. May you continue to enjoy the talent God has given you in writing .

    Thanks so much for sharing bits of your life with so many men, Priscilla mom to 5 sons & 1 daughter :)

    ReplyDelete