Saturday, September 11, 2010

An Enouraging Word

Well, I think I ought to be able to finish catching up with this post. That's probably a good thing because Will is bringing home his best friend from a youth group overnighter and I need to do some cooking - teenage boys and all. Plus, I was so burnt out from all the cooking I did last week that this week I hardly did any at all. The kids are beginning to poke in the couch cushions for things to eat.

Sam has sort of dropped the "poopy" name calling. Well, kind of. It still pops out from time to time. But now he has a new insult. When somebody does something he doesn't like he calls them a "bad mommy." What am I supposed to think about that? I'm starting to develop a complex around this kid. I'm thinking he doesn't exactly appreciate all it took to bring him into the world!

I had a neat experience on Wed. I took Ben in to get his allergy shots. I stuffed two books in my purse and fully intended to read the time away. Well, Sam fell asleep on the way there and was so out that he didn't wake up when I carried him into the office. So, instead of reading, I just held him the entire time as he slept on my lap. I reminded myself that these days are fast and fleeting and I'll have the rest of my life to read.

So while I was there I ended up chatting with another mother in the room. She is going through a rough time. Her 14 yr old son had a dr's appt as a precursor to being checked into rehab. She told me how she adopted both her sons out of foster care - and both have brought untold misery onto themselves, and consequently, onto her. I told her about Ben. She was admiring David for his sensitivity while we sat there (I had him rummaging in my purse for a tissue for my ever-dripping nose). I tried to be an encouragement to this mom, reminding her that her reward would come later and to hang on through these rough waters. But she was an encouragement to me, telling me repeatedly how "blessed" I am. I don't think about that much. From the negative tone of a lot of my posts, it's pretty obvious that I tend to zero in on the nasty things in my life, taking the good for granted. So I needed to hear that too.

We exchanged email info and phone numbers. Who knows - maybe one of these days we'll get together. I gave her a hug before I left - almost a total stranger - and she hung onto me as though she were drowning, which I suppose she is, in a sense.

We're not islands. This was a good reminder to me to be aware of the hurting people around me. I'm not the only person with problems. I think maybe I need to read less often and be ready with that encouraging word - and hug - for those chance encounters, which maybe, aren't so "chance" after all.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah,
    If you talk to your new friend, remind her...this too shall pass. I remember those days when my older adopted children were so hard, so difficult, so much hurt and trying so very hard...and I never imagined a time when it would pass. I felt so trapped and confused and then, 18 came for both of them, and although I would have wished much different lives for them, I feel overall we did what God called on us to do, and they know, now....that they were loved.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete