Monday, July 19, 2010

Strange Sunday

Well, I was painting the outside of the house but another storm rolled in. So, I'm in here blogging instead. It's been a stormy July weekend. We had a vicious thunderstorm around 3 am yesterday morning. In fact, we lost power for 9 hours. Paul had to go to work and since we didn't have clocks due to the power outage I slept in. So we missed Sunday School. But that was ok. It was a weird Sunday anyway. We had about 4" of rain down in the basement hole. Thankfully, the new sump pump took care of all that!

I watched the weather last night and they said that we'd be having storms today in the afternoon. Well, we were awakened at 6 this morning by a thunderstorm! Guess their timing was a little off! But Paul still went to work, muttering something about some "inside" jobs he needed to do. But it all cleared off so I pulled out my paint clothes and headed outside. And now I'm back inside!

Iowa summertime weather! It was really, really hot on Saturday. Thankfully, Paul is on call this weekend. I am always so, so grateful when the weather is extreme during his call week. That means lots of overtime money! But, it also means he gets very little sleep. He worked all day long both Saturday and Sunday. So then I worry about him having seizures. He got home last night just before midnight and he had to run down to the basement and work for a little bit - turning off the pump and relighting the waterheater (which meant he had a cold shower). And then he was up again in 5 hours since he has to go in early on Mondays.

Well, like I said, yesterday was an unusual Sunday. I wore pants for one thing - :) Paul has this thing about women wearing skirts to church on Sunday (Weds. we both wear jeans; sometimes I even wear shorts). It annoys me but he once phrased it to me that he viewed it as a matter of "respect" so I do it for him. But when I'm widowed... We missed SS, which is odd. We didn't have power when I left the house (which made getting ready for church difficult - kind of hard to iron clothing and do my hair without electricity! I couldn't bake our normal Sun. morning muffins either, since I have an electric stove. Neither could I plug in the crockpot with Sunday's lunch!) so I didn't want to come home soon after church in case we were still without power.

So, I had a few errands I could run in Des Moines and I got ahold of Paul and he was able to take an hour off and we had a great lunch out at Fuddruckers. It had been 9 months to the day since we'd been there last. I love that place! So I ran my errands and we finally made it home. The power was back on, thankfully, by then.

Ben almost immediately fell asleep on the couch. All those boys were short on sleep because they had gotten to bed quite late on Sat. and then had been awakened by the storm a few hours later.

We did go to evening church and I was able to pester my pastor about some questions I have regarding my next FaithWriters story. Now he wants to read a copy of it when I get done to "check for heresy" - ha, ha!

So that was my day! Now I'm having a quiet Monday with no place to go. Uh oh. I just looked outside and I can see the rain washed off some the paint I just slapped on the shed. Rats. I hope the house looks a little better!

I've got a bunch to blog about so I'll be back, off and on today.

No comments:

Post a Comment