Monday, July 5, 2010

Celebrating our Freedom


It's a rainy, gloomy day out, just like our Fourth of July yesterday!

Fortunately, Pleasantville had already arranged to do their fireworks on Saturday, the 3rd, because of the 4th being on a Sunday. I think that's neat that they honor it that way. I commented to someone recently that Pville lets all their students out early on Wednesdays for what they call "family time" but I was told by the school that was because so many kids go to church on Wed. nights. This person said back to me, "Well, Pleasantville's a pretty religious community, isn't it?" I didn't know what to say to that. It's not any different from anywhere else that I'm aware of, but maybe it does fall more into that category.

It did start to sprinkle on the way down there but it was just a passing cloud. Sat. had been such a hot, sticky day, but by the time nightfall arrived it was downright cool! This was our 2nd year in a row going to the fireworks without Will (he left Sat. morning to go up to camp to work for the next week). I suppose I should be getting used to it, but it's more fun when we do things as a whole family! Anyway, the fireworks were just fantastic! They always are, but this year they were better than they ever have been before. We lived in the Omaha area for 12 years and they cannot even begin to compare to little Pleasantville's display!

As I watched them I kept thinking about "The Star Spangled Banner" and specifically, the line that says, "...the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air..." and from there my mind went to the story behind the song - the shelling of Ft. Henry and how it was the patriots dead bodies that held up our flag. The next morning as I awoke, WHO was airing a recording of the telling of that story again. That was neat and kind of set the tone for the 4th.


Oh, that's Sam up there, waiting for the fireworks to begin. He did really well this year. He snuggled in Paul's lap for the whole show. In the beginning, he said, "Sam scared!" but that didn't last long. He was oohing and ahhing with the rest of the crowd. For some reason, they had had quite a few fireballs on the ground this year and I think he liked those best of all! Sam called the fireworks, "firetractors" - so cute!

And then yesterday was church. I subbed in the 2-4 yr old SS class. I should have had help. Those kids were wound up and really couldn't care less about learning how God made the fish and birds! We had a potluck dinner, which always stresses me out. I hate those things! And then we had a quick evening service right afterwards and got to go home. I felt yesterday like I was in a bit of a mental fog. People would talk to me and I just had very little to say back. Anymore, I just feel tongue-tied actually talking to people. It seems to be that the more I write, the less companionable I am in real life! Is that normal?

We came home. Paul slept and I cleaned house. Then we watched a couple hours of tv together. I did some more work and then Paul asked where my FaithWriters entries were on the computer. I about fell over dead! He's never taken much of an interest in my writing before. I think it's more of a time thing than anything else. When he's not at work, he's working at home. With this basement project, he literally gets home, changes his clothes, and heads downstairs until bedtime. Plus, he's a very slow reader. It took him over an hour to get through 5 of my pieces. I can zip through them in moments, but I've always been a bit of a speed reader. At any rate, I was touched at his interest.

Oh, it looks like it's raining out again. What a nasty holiday! Plus, I'm still dragging, physically, so the fatigue from that, coupled with the grayness outside, makes me just want to crawl right back into bed! Gotta keep moving, though.

Tonight I'm scheduled to go to Culvers with a friend of mine. Pray for my friend Malissa. She has lost multiple babies over the past couple of years. She conceives easily, but her body won't let her keep them. Last week she lost twins, a little boy and girl, and she's hurting. I hope I have the right words to minister to her heart tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Firetractors... I love it!!! This was NOT a fun 4th for us with Aiden. Praying next year he will enjoy them. I also think that is great that they did the celebration on the 3rd to keep Sunday holy and let the kids out early on Wed. Not just any town would do that, not here in CA at all. It is all about the money, the time in school, and nothing about church at all. Sad!

    I am not a potluck girl either. I actually skip church on potluck days since I dislike them so much. I get so much anxiety. The cooking for it. The socialization. The gathering of food for my kids with so many other people all around. Doing it by myself since Dale always has to work on Sundays. I am so frazzled by the end of it that the purpose of fellowship is lost and not worth going to begin with. I really think I am going to talk to my doctor about PTSD (from the rupture) or something because the whole anxiety/depression/fog thing is getting to be too much in social settings.

    Ok, another longwinded comment on your blog. :/ I love your posts, and learning more about you and your family.

    ReplyDelete