Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Special Athletes


Look at my boy run! Looking at this picture I was suddenly reminded of when Ben was about 5. He couldn't run at all. He could do kind of a fast shuffle, but I just yearned for him to be able to pick up his feet and fly like other boys. He runs now. It's not perfect, but he can do it. That sudden knowledge just makes my heart sing. How many other things will he be able to do someday that he can't now? It's so hard to see beyond the present. And, of course, I often think of Heaven when I think of Ben. I can't wait to see him run from one corner of Eternity to the other. I am so looking forward to sitting down with him and having long conversations. But to get little glimpses of Heaven right now - so precious!

Yesterday was Ben's first Special Olympics and it was such a special day. I didn't know what to expect at all. It was amazing. We got there in time for the opening ceremony. They had athletes carry the special Olympic torch, the American flag, and the Iowa flag. They had an athlete sing the National Anthem. To anyone listening and not knowing what was going on, they surely would have cringed as they heard the screeching, warbling rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner." But, as a mom standing there, it was just beautiful! And then, to my utter amazement, they had an Army chaplain open the events in prayer. I couldn't believe it! In his prayer he talked about how all humans are made in the image of God and how special each of the participants in the Olympics were to their Creator. It just made tears come to my eyes!

The games were great. There were volunteers everywhere. When any athlete ran, there were volunteers cheering him on. When he crossed the finish line, he was met by a whole squadron of volunteers hugging him, giving him high fives and encouragement. I saw one race where two volunteers literally wrapped their arms around one athlete's shoulders and helped him run the race. Everywhere you looked, you saw smiles.

I told Paul that this was one of the few times where I didn't feel like an oddity because I have a child who isn't just like other kids. Everyone did! I also was reminded, as I looked around, that I need to count my blessings. There are disabilities far, far worse than what Ben has.

I had a chance to chat with the mothers of the boys in Ben's class at school, as well as some of the other para-educators who came along. That was so nice because I don't see them that often. They all saw Sam and started calling him, "Mini-Ben"! :)

We even ran into our pastor's son, who is Will's age. He was volunteering. And he told me that one of the moms in my SS class at church had been there, looking for us because she wanted to see Ben run. I was so touched by that. She called me today so I was able to let her know how Ben had done.

Ben did just fine. He got 2nd place in the 50m dash, which is what he is running in the above picture. He got 3rd place in the softball throwing contest and his team got 2nd in the relay race. Ben didn't seem to care one way or the other how he did, but I told him we'll hang his ribbons in his room. He thought that would be a good idea.

The day was absolutely gorgeous. I even sunburned my forehead and nose! Of course, it could have been the neon yellow Marion Co. Sp. Olympics tee I was wearing - reflecting the sun right up into my face. They did mention, though, that these April games have taken place in snow, rain, and storm warnings - so I think we got lucky this year!

Oh, Ben and I also got Sp. Olympics jackets. Ben's is embroidered with his name and mine says, "Ben's Mom." I love that!

In late May we will travel up to Ames for the state games. Ben is competing in Bocce ball.

I've already determined that, from now on, whenever I have an opportunity to donate to Special Olympics, I will, and I would urge my readers to do the same. When you have a child with unique needs, you spend his lifetime looking for something he can excel in. And every time he tries to do something and can't, it breaks your heart just a little bit more. Special Olympics allows every individual with special needs to be a champion for one day. It's bigger than the ribbons they take home and it's even bigger than the applause they receive. It's the feeling in their heart that they are winners - and that's something that time won't dim.

1 comment:

  1. This post brought tears to my eyes. When I was in high school, we were volunteered to help at the Special Olympics. We hated it. (We were VERY immature, prideful high school-ers please keep in mind. Actually, we may have even been in jr. high.) And, that has stuck with me all these years.
    Seeing this through yours and Ben's eyes has changed my outlook. They ARE winners, for sure. And, I'm glad they are able to feel that with all the extra struggles they have in their lives.

    ReplyDelete