Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Brags and Sighs

Here's the rest of what's been going on since I last posted...

First, here is an article that Will wrote. He did this as a guest blogger for a blog devoted to autism. http://manyhatsmommy.com/2011/04/10/super-kids-sunday-will-heywood/ I thought he did a nice job with this. He was also able to use this as an assignment for his writing class, so he got double mileage out of it! I'm proud of him!

You know how kids make your chest puff up one moment, and the next they leave you scratching your head? Yeah! Well, it was the same day that Will's article was published that he called me to come see something that was on tv. I went in and saw that it was advertisement for a company called "Acme Tools." I wasn't really sure what I was supposed to be seeing, but Will sat there, looking expectantly at me. When he saw I wasn't "getting" it, he asked, "Why would a company name themselves after zits?" I was soon laughing, but not for the reason he thought!

The rest of my funnies have to do with Sam. I was busy the other day - typing away, of course. Sam came to get me to show me something. What he showed me was that he managed to take my iron, a spare extension cord out of the mudroom, and plugged them together. He was having difficulty, though, finding a place to plug the extension cord into! Argh! That could have been bad!

Sunday night we had a musical group from a Des Moines Christian school minister at our church. They did a really good, really cute version of "Only a Boy Named David." They started singing and Sam piped up seriously, "They're singing about you, Dabid!"

During that same concert, he turned to me after listening to a song, and earnestly asked, "What's a soul?" Ack - how do you explain that quietly, succinctly, and in a manner that a 3 yr old can understand? I don't think I quite managed.

We've had warmer weather this week, although that's supposed to start changing tomorrow. We might have snow by Saturday! But, anyway, the flies have already figured out it's warmer and we're starting to see them every so often in the house. Sam loves it. He asks me for the "hitter" so he can try to kill them. I'm reminded of that old Mother Goose rhyme about the tailor that killed 99 flies in a single swing - or something like that.

I picked up some sandals for Sam today at a consignment store. They're flip flop slides and I wasn't sure how he'd do with them, but so far he doesn't seem to have a problem keeping them on his feet. They are just identical to the ones I bought Ben new earlier this month. Sam was delighted with his new shoes, but tonight he was observing Ben's pair and commented with an air of injustice, "Ben's are bigger than mine!" Sometimes you just really don't know how to respond to things...

Well, this may be all I know. Tomorrow is shaping up to be a busy day. I have to sew a pocket square for Will's suit. Then I have to get dinner ready early. At 3:30 my neighbor is picking me up and we're heading to Knoxville to attend another Emergency Management meeting. And then from there I'll be heading to Ladies' Bible study. I may be glad when Friday arrives, although it's supposed to rain all day. David informed me today that he is scheduled for softball practice on Friday, and since his practices have been running close to 2 hours apiece (Thankfully, Will has been taking him) I'm not going to be upset if it's a wet day on Friday! I do not want to sit in my van and try to entertain Ben and Sam while David practices ball. Besides, I want to make it over to church to see all the teenagers in their prom finery and I doubt I'd have time to do that and take David to practice.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment