Thursday, February 18, 2010

Left Behind

I've been thinking about some spouses lately - not mine. Specifically, I've had Julie's husband, Luke, on my mind, Chris, who was married to my friend Barb who died 11 months ago, and Jessica. I don't know the last one, personally, but she is the young widow of the nephew of some friends of mine who died this month. During her husband's ordeal, someone shared parts of her blog with me, so I felt like I got to know her from her writing. What a difficult road God has called these people to travel. The longer I am married, the more I feel like Paul and I are intertwined - truly more like one person than two separate beings. The thought of having him die and be gone causes a physical pain just merely to think about it. So I ache for those I know who are living that reality.



I have a song I want to share on that very subject. I looked all over the Internet for a link to include. I couldn't find one. I also looked for the lyrics - they're not there. So, I went and put the cd in, listened to the song, hit the pause button about 50 times, and scribbled furiously. Hopefully I can read my own handwriting!



This song was written by Steve Chapman back in 1978. He and his wife Annie recorded it. It's about a young widower. It has a really lovely melody, but the words are the most beautiful part about it.



A note about the Chapmans: I have been listening to their music since I was about 9 years old. I had an old record player and my parents bought me several of their records and I would listen to them over and over again. Dr. Dobson once referred to the Chapmans as "Ambassadors for the Family" and that's such an accurate description. Throughout the decades the Chapmans have written and recorded songs that encourage husbands and wives to be faithful, joyous lovers to eachother. They've written songs to encourage couples in their parenting and to impress upon them the absolute seriousness of the job they have undertaken as parents. They have a strong Christian testimony and I just love them. As I got older, I bought a number of their tapes. And then about 10 years ago Paul took me to one of their concerts and he secretly bought all their cds and gave them to me for my next birthday. I love Southern Gospel music anyway, but to have it with such affirming and challenging lyrics makes it even more enjoyable.



Luke, Chris, and Jessica: I know you'll never see this, but I am praying for you. I dedicate this song to all three of you:



No Regrets


He's got a lonely heart, an empty room,

he's got an empty bed, it happened much too soon,

He's got some memories he will never forget,

but one thing he doesn't have -

He has no regrets.


He remembers the day, about a year ago.

When they told her the news, he held her close.

And in the time she had remaining,

he didn't know how much she'd be changing.

'Cuz his love that was strong through all of those years,

had to be even stronger now to hold back the tears.

When her angry words would cut him so deeply,

somehow he knew it was pain that was speaking.


And the girl that he married had a spark in her eye

that won a young boy's heart, and kept a man's love alive.

When the thief stole that spark and his nights grew colder,

he didn't seek other fires, he was warm just to hold her.


And he remembers the night she called out his name,

and he held her hand 'til the morning came,

And in the still of the night, she told him good-bye,

and he'll be glad he was with her for the rest of his life.


But now he's got a lonely heart, he's got an empty room,

he's got an empty bed, it happened much too soon.

He's got some memories he will never forget,

Oh, but one thing he doesn't have-

He has no regrets.


Oh, one thing he doesn't have -

He has no regrets.

1 comment: