Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Day 743


June 17, 2015

Day 743

 

It's clouding up.  I think it's going to rain.  Again.  It's been raining so much I haven't had time to do any more painting on the porch or to cover up the gutter I painted - that the rain keeps washing the paint off of.  But I haven't had a whole lot of time for painting, either.  Things have been kind of crazy, like normal.

 

I went up to camp last Friday to collect Ben.  He was eating lunch when we arrived so we waited.  His poor counselor seemed so stressed so I finally asked him if it had been a hard week.  He said it had been but some of that was due to stuff outside of camp.  He had never worked with special needs individuals before so the week was a real eye-opener for him.  I thought about pointing out to him that it's not a real picnic raising one, either, but I didn't.  Because, the truth is, being a counselor to a handful of guys for a few days and parenting a child with special needs are far, far apart in scope and experience.  Kevin, the counselor, did say that of all the guys in his cabin Ben was the easiest and most mature.  He said one day he couldn't find Ben anywhere and finally discovered him exiting the cabin.  He asked Ben where he had been and Ben slowly and seriously replied, "Well, I needed a Fig Newton."  Those have always been Ben's favorite cookie, so he came well-stocked.  Anyway, that kind of tickled his counselor.

 

One of the Ben's cabin mates was eating his lunch when we were there and he pointed at the Littles and asked me if they were all mine.  I told him they sure were.  He sat there for a few minutes and then asked, "But how come, but how come..." and Kevin jumped in, anticipating the question, "Eat your food, Mike!"  But Mike continued, "How come they don't look like you?"  Ha, ha, ha!  I think this is the first time I've ever actually encountered that very natural question.  When I explained to him the girls were adopted he was perfectly fine with that and was content to then eat his food.  Counselor Kevin, on the other hand, seemed a bit embarrassed.

***************************

Saturday, David came home.  I had really been praying about last week for him and those prayers were answered.  He was like a different kid when I picked him up - so peaceful.  He said he didn't realize all that went into maintaining a camp until this week.  I imagine not.  He was awarded two weeks, which pleased him.

 

That means, total, David will be gone for 5 weeks this summer between last week, the weeks he works, Sr. High camp, and his missions trip in August.  I'm going to have to get some names and phone numbers of Pleasantville teenagers I could hire to help out with babysitting.  Even if I manage to get through this summer on my own, I can see the handwriting on the wall.  David's life is only going to get busier and busier in the next few years, which means he won't be available as much for watching the Littles.  It's going to be awhile before they are old enough to stay home alone.

 

Or, I guess I could just start staying home. 

***************************

Ellie continues her current reign of terror.  Her birthday is coming up and I always post a picture of the kids on my timeline with a little paragraph about what I appreciate about them on their actual birthday.  I'm thinking ahead of what I might say about her and I am just coming up empty.  I can't think of one good thing to say about this kid right now.  Isn't that terrible?

 

She took a brand new, "Family size" (hah - if your family only has 1.7 children maybe) bag of Doritos ($3.89 at Walmart) and for absolutely no good reason, stomped all over the bag until the chips were crushed.  And so far, this has actually been a "good" week for her.

 

Sigh...

*******************************

Ben's case manager was over this morning.  She had this new, "risk assessment" form DHS is making her fill out on each of her clients so we had to go through that.  There were lots of questions on Ben's health and behaviors.  But then she asked if we had knives in the home and laughed and said, well of course you do - every kitchen has knives.  I agreed.  I do, indeed, have knives in my kitchen.  But then the next question was if we have guns and if so, are they kept locked up.  I told her I was trying to determine the need for such a question.  Is the state simply wondering if Ben has access to weapons that he might decide to use improperly or is this question more intrusive in nature, a tool of the gun control proponents?  She didn't know - she was just following orders.  I was honest and told her we do have guns and yes, they are properly stored and locked at all times.  But, I also pointed out to her the kitchen knives are laying in an unlocked drawer and accessible to even my 3 year old if she thought that was something she wanted to mess with.  For that matter, we have hammers and saws and chemicals  out in the garage - all of which can cause injury in the wrong hands.

 

I'm not a conspiracy theorist and I don't worry about Big Brother monitoring my Facebook or phone records.  But this kind of question kind of sets my teeth on edge.

 

That said, I have nothing against my case manager.  She's new to us and seems to be doing a fine job.  I've been fighting with HIRTA who don't think they should have to provide transportation for Ben's ride home from Pella.  He starts tomorrow and because of that I will have to make an hour and a half round trip to bring him home.  As far as I know, I've run out of appeal options.  It doesn't make sense to me because COC is in our same county and Ben is entitled to transportation services.  But some things you just can't fight.  I suppose in some ways, it's my own fault because I could have Ben receive all his services in Indianola, which is closer (although out of county) and then I wouldn't have a transportation issue.  But he wants to go to Pella and if he's capable of knowing his own desires then I want to accommodate them as much as possible.  Anyway, this new case manager of mine is really on the issue.  She has made a number of phone calls on our behalf and is hopeful that we're going to be able to work this out with HIRTA or some other transportation company.  But it won't be in time for tomorrow.

***********************

A bunch of guys from church came out last Saturday and worked on the garage, pulling off the old siding and putting up sheeting, and wrapping the thing.  They even got most of one side sided.  I was out there for a little bit, pulling off the old stuff - nasty, dry, and  crumbling .  I was afraid it might be termite infested, but it wasn't.  I did find a couple of old wasp's nests under the siding.  It's not even done yet but it looks SO  much better than that eyesore I've been looking at for almost 11 years!

********************************

I was tired one day last week and laying down on the loveseat.  Lizzie came over to me and started giving me a facial massage.  I have no idea where she learned to do something like that, but it felt so-o-o good.  Before I knew it, I was dozing.  When I woke up, she and Ellie were doing my make-up and hair.  I looked a little scary.

*****************************

I have our summer vacation planned now.  I couldn't do this until I knew David's work schedule at camp.  We're just going away for 3 days to a KOA campground in Nebraska.  I'm a little nervous because this time I won't have Will to help.  But I think I can do it.  The campground looks like fun.  They have all sorts of free activities and fun things to do.  I'm also going to take the kids to the zoo and Children's Museum in Omaha.  I had hoped to visit friends while out there but I just don't think we're going to have the time.  We won't be gone very long.  We're renting a little cabin.  The older boys want me to buy a camper.  This is a compromise.  They can still get their camping experience and I have running water, air conditioning,  and wi-fi.

****************************************

Sunday Lizzie was looking at me and asked, "Has anyone told you yet today..."  And then she paused.  I was wearing a brand new top out of my most recent Stitch Fix box and felt pretty confident as a result.  So, I mentally supplied the last of her sentence in my head with, "how nice you look?"  And then Lizzie continued, "...how tired you look?"  Talk about being deflated!

 

Although, if anyone had reason to be tired that day, it wasn't me!  Arien's sister let it drop Sunday morning that the night before, Will and Arien had been on the phone for FIVE hours, until 4 am Sunday morning!  I teased Will about that later and he replied, "Well, if anyone should understand, it should be you!"  I do, I really do, but I don't recall any five hour phone conversations with Paul, either, while we were dating.  Of course, back then you had to pay for your long distance calling.  That might have had something to do with it.

 

My boy has got it bad...

*********************************

Elisabeth Elliot died Monday morning.  That makes me happy - for her, of course.  I remember reading, "Through Gates of Splendor" when I was around 11 or 12.  I read a lot of her books throughout the years.  Probably the biggest influence this woman had on my life, though, was the 15 minute daily radio program she used to host.  I listened to this every single day in those early years of marriage and parenthood.  In fact, I can remember where I was driving in Omaha when I heard her talking about the necessity of "doing the next thing" when trials and great grief arrive.  When you don't know what do, you do what you do know to do.  When Paul died, that phrase, "Do the next thing" would leap into my mind in Elisabeth's voice over and over again in the first few months and so, I would get up and feed the kids breakfast or make a needed phone call.  I didn't know what next week would bring, but I knew what needed to be done right now.   I still think about that phrase from time to time. 

 

I don't know if Paul has had a chance to speak with her or not.  I rather imagine there's a lot of saints desiring some of her time.  But when he does, I hope he thanks her for the better wife and mother I became as a result of her ministry.
 
This afternoon I met with Marcia and we were talking about Elisabeth's death.  Marcia actually  jotted down one of her quotes (that I left out in the van, otherwise I'd copy it here) she thought I could use.  Marcia made the comment that if Elisabeth had not been widowed like she was, she probably would not have had the ministry and tremendous impact that  she did on the world.  Hmm...something to think about.

***********************************

Yesterday, Lizzie and I had to run some errands.  We both needed some new shorts and capris to get through summer and my vacuum needed replacing.  We were eating lunch and I asked her if she was ok with the fact that I had changed her name at adoption.  That's something I worry about from time to time, wondering if I did the right thing.  A name is really  kind of an integral part of someone's identity and to just go changing it...I don't know.  At the time it seemed like the right thing to do and Paul and I seemed to have some valid reasons for choosing to do that.  But since then I've wondered if I was too hasty in making that kind of decision.  Surprised, Lizzie exclaimed that yes, she was glad we had changed her name.  She liked "Elizabeth" a whole lot better than her birth name!  Then, slyly, she asked, "What you say if I told you that I wished you hadn't changed it?"  Ha, ha...smart girl.

 

Then, Lizzie asked me a question.  She said, "Have you ever wished you never adopted us?"

 

Be still, my heart...

 

I was honest.  I told her that adoption was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life.  And I told her I imagined that getting adopted was probably very difficult, too, adjusting to a whole new family and environment.  Lizzie nodded in agreement.  I also told her that parenting, in general, can be hard, regardless of whether the kids are adopted or biological.  
 
As parents, we lie to our kids all the time.  It's part of the role, I think.
 
That was the best catch in the entire history of Little League!
 
You are the sweetest little girl alive!
 
How did you know that all I wanted for my birthday was this perfect drawing of zombies eating villagers?!
 
You are the smartest five year old I have ever met!
 
No, of course I don't mind giving up my planned girls night out so that I can watch you sing...for five seconds...in the choir
 
And so on.  My mind did a quick replay of the last three years - Lizzie being a pill for much of the first couple of years, Paul's death which changed parenting for me, Ellie's propensity toward destructiveness and lying, the fatigue, the near constant feelings of failure... 
 
I then told Lizzie the honest and absolute  truth which is that I have never regretted my decision to adopt her and her sister.

 

Not even once.

 

 

 

 

What I have learned in two years of widowhood:

• God is good - so, so good
• I am loved far more than I ever knew
• I have amazing, resilient children (I am reaping what Paul sowed into their lives)
• Darkness eventually gives way to light
• Strength and wisdom are mine for the asking
• I don't have to have all the answers
• God delights in carefully and tenderly mending torn-apart hearts

Psalm 73:26: My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

ow with a certain amount of anticipation, although there are still moments when I am sick at heart to think that that future will never again include him, other than the quick glimpses I sometimes see in my sons. As much as hope is beginning to seep back into our lives, I am also accepting that, for the rest of our lives, we will be among the walking wounded, forever hurt and altered by Paul's early death. As sad as that sounds, it really isn't, though. Even scarred, life is still pretty beautiful.

What I have learned in two years of widowhood:

• God is good - so, so good
• I am loved far more than I ever knew
• I have amazing, resilient children (I am reaping what Paul sowed into their lives)
• Darkness eventually gives way to light
• Strength and wisdom are mine for the asking
• I don't have to have all the answers
• God delights in carefully and tenderly mending torn-apart hearts

Psalm 73:26: My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment