Saturday, October 9, 2010

Mom Jeans and Disgusting Boys

Now to get caught up on the last week and a half...

Good news - I think allergy season is pretty much over. My head was really stuffy for all of Sept, but we had a frost a week ago and I've been breathing much more easily. I love October!

I bought some "Mom" jeans this week...sigh...They're actually kind of cute with pocket flaps and everything. But they sit right at the waist. I really prefer the ones that sit at the hip, but when you have excess belly fat, it tends to roll right out the top of below-the-waist jeans. And that is definitely not cool! So, waist-high, compression-front jeans it is...for now, anyway. Maybe I'll get this hormonal stuff taken care of, be better with my chocolate intake, and actually work out on a regular basis and be able to fit back into my size 8s. Maybe.

I found what I want to do about a week ago. About a year or so ago I read an article somewhere explaining what CASA volunteers are and the need for them. It caught my interest. Then, last Friday I happened to catch Dr. Phil and he had Sen. Grassley from Iowa on there. They explained the CASA program and wow - I know this is what I want to do! I don't remember what CASA stands for but each volunteer is assigned a foster care case. The volunteer interviews the child, the relatives, teachers, day care workers, etc and then writes a letter to the judge stating what they've found and their recommendation. It's the first thing the judge reads when reviewing and deciding the case. I did some internet research and it looks like it takes 30 hours of training. I'd love to jump into this, but I don't have the time right now. Maybe someday...

School is still going well for Ben. He is integrated into a few regular classes with other 7th graders, with his aide sitting right there beside him. One of those classes is Science. They are studying stuff I don't understand this year, like electrons and protons. But Ben is really getting into it and chattering on and on about it. He brought home a paper last week where his aide had penned, "Ben really understands this stuff!" I am blown away, honestly. I didn't know that he had the intellectual capability to comprehend this kind of stuff. After all, I sure don't and I don't have any neurological deficits! Well, that I know of, anyway...

I pulled out my Mamma Mia cd this week and listened to it. That music never fails to lift my spirits! But, I think I would enjoy it a whole lot more if I didn't have male children. The boys were singing things like, "Mamma Mia - I've got diarrhea" and making up all kinds of gross lyrics to the different songs. I know this would not have happened if I had given birth to girls. If I had girls, I'd probably never be able to listen my cd because one of them would have snagged it for their own listening pleasure. No danger of that happening here!

Well, today is a full day of working on the house. Paul is hoping to get the walls up for the addition. His dad is here and another guy from church called Paul yesterday and asked if he could use some help on the house today - which I thought was so nice of him! So, he brought his two boys, too. Paul's mom and I are going to shampoo the carpets. I haven't done that in, oh - ever - so I suppose it's time. Busy Saturday ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment