Tuesday, June 29, 2010

SW Iowa Weekend


So much to catch up on! I'll start with our last weekend. We went to the annual Heywood Family picnic. That's me at left there, chatting with Paul's cousin, Eugene's, new girlfriend. It's a good snapshot of what the whole picnic was like.


We arrived out at his parents' around 3 on Sat. afternoon. There were all these cars parked all over their property and all kinds of people milling around. We had no idea a pre-picnic was in the works! Saturday it was broiling (heat index of something like 105 degrees) so most were in the air conditioned house. I was meeting all these people I'd never seen before in my life.


Sunday was the actual picnic. I still haven't figured out why it was such a big deal this year, but it was. The local paper even did a write-up about it. And get this - I just now figured out that there were 17 kids in Paul's dad's original family. All these years I've had it in my mind that there were only 16. But Paul's cousin corrected me. I didn't believe her so I went to one of the family books they have printed up that list each child and all their offspring - and sure enough, there were 17 of them! Although, when you're talking about that many children, I guess one more or less really doesn't make much of a difference!


The Sunday picnic was much more enjoyable, weather-wise. It was cooler and there was a good breeze. I missed the beginning because Dorothy forgot her potato salad that she had made and I volunteered to go get it for her. That was fine with me because I always get stressed out in potluck situations, trying to get Ben and Sam's food, along with mine. This way, Paul took care of it!


So, the whole thing was not as miserable as I was anticipating. It doesn't mean I'm anxious to go back next year, but I managed to make it through this one. Ben spent his time swinging and Sam and David spent the entire time on the playground.


The only thing that marred the picnic for me was some disturbing family news I received from Paul's brother. I'm not trying to be secretive and I wish I could just blurt it all out in my blog so I could work through it with writing, which is how I best think. But not everyone knows yet, so I'd better keep quiet for now. Actually, I'd probably be safe here talking about it because to my knowledge, nobody on Paul's side of the family reads my blog! But on the off-chance that they would suddenly develop an interest today and do so - I'll be quiet. I'm heartbroken at the choices I see being continually made in this family, on both sides. And I'm equally upset with the cavalier attitude that seems to be adopted by those that see it. Sin is not viewed as sin anymore and many innocents are being harmed and propelled into their own lives of self-destruction and despair. Ambiguous enough for you? I'll post more when I can.


So that was pretty much our weekend. Paul did repair a couple of air conditioners while out there. While he was doing that on Sat. evening, our 29 yr old nephew took Will out for supper and even let him drive clear to Bellevue (south side of Omaha). Chris has always been my favorite. He's pursuing a pharmacy degree and living with George and Dorothy while he goes to school. I guess he and Will were up past 1 am playing video games, too, which might explain why Will was so droopy on Sunday!


He's droopy today, too. It's almost lunchtime and he's still sleeping. Of course, he did get up at 6:30 for weight lifting this morning. Next week Will will be back up at camp - no more late nights and sleeping in for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment