Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Political Play


I have about 5 minutes before I have to make the boys' lunch, eat, and get Ben ready for school - and then take him to school. So, I'll fill it with one of my favorite activities!


Saturday was a really neat morning for us. We went to see Chuck Norris at a Bob Vander Plaats rally. It was raining that morning so Paul ended up not having to work. The extra time would have been nice, money-wise, but I was thankful to have Paul driving, since I wasn't sure how big of a crush this thing would be or what. It turned out to be located right across the street from Loziers! We all just stood around for awhile as people milled in. They soon set up some chairs in the front row and when I heard they were for the elderly and handicapped, I had Ben sit down. I was really grateful they were doing that because I wasn't sure how long Ben's legs would hold out. Well, when I had Ben sit down, I was quickly informed by one of the people setting up that these chairs were not for my kid. I nicely informed him otherwise, and he was then tripping over himself, apologizing. I assured him it was ok. I don't expect people to be able to tell Ben has needs just by looking at him. Generally, it's his behavior that tips people off, anyway!


But anyway, Ben had a nice seat and we were able to stand by him. The rally was terrific. I had so much fun watching David, who was literally quivering with excitement as he waited for Chuck Norris' appearance. He had told me all week long he wanted to get Chuck's autograph and I had warned him that was really unlikely to happen. I envisioned us in an auditorium of some sort, stuck in the balcony in the back row. But it was just this big open building on a campground. But we were right up front and afterwards, the Vander Plaats and Norrises made their way across it. David got his autograph, and as you can see, Will even got picture with his hero!


One thing I thought was neat was when the Vander Plaats got to Paul, he told them how we had been able to watch a dvd of them that had been recorded in March at a church in Indianola (not our's). The dvd was simply Bob telling the story of his severely disabled son, Lucas, and how that experience led him into a personal relationship with Christ. He could have used that Sunday morning appearance to campaign, but he didn't. Paul and I watched it and, as Ben's parents, it really touched us. Well, when Paul shared this with them, both Bob and Darla wanted to meet Ben, so we pushed him up to the front. They shook his hand and Darla commented on his curly hair.


We got out around noon, went to Burger King, and then to Menards. It ended up being just a really nice family outing.


Now, unfortunately - for us, the state of Iowa, and the nation - Bob didn't win last night. Terry Brandstad got it. I haven't heard yet the final percentages, but when I went to bed there was something like a 10 point spread between the two. I'm disappointed and a little fearful. I think Bob Vander Plaats would have really done something for Iowa. I don't believe Branstad will do anything. And, what's frightening, is that many Democrats backed him and contributed to his campaign! Paul says he absolutely won't vote for Branstad in Nov. I don't know what to do. I don't want to vote for him - I know I'll feel like I'm participating in something unethical and dirty if I do. But yet, I don't want to risk Culver getting re-elected, either. So, I'm going to have to do some praying on this one between now and Nov. 2 (which will also be Will's 16th birthday - hope it's a good day for everyone!)


Now I need to - sadly - go pull my Vander Plaats sign out of the front yard. He would have been good, he really would have.

No comments:

Post a Comment