Friday, May 21, 2010

Co-ops and Tractors

I am taking a much-needed break in cleaning up the house this morning. A gal is coming over this afternoon - to teach me how to run our co-op. This is a job I'm taking with much reluctance. I got a call about 3 weeks ago from a member of the co-op letting me know that the coordinator was resigning and would I be interested in taking over. My first thought was, "Um - NO!" Good grief - I've ordered all of two times, I never remember to pick up my catalog when it comes in, and I totally blew off the last order date. What makes them think I would want to do this?

But, I'm doing it. It turns out that the gal running it is not stepping down for time reasons, but because she has two small children and lives down in Knoxville and can't always make it to the pick ups. She assures me that is actually "fun" to do this, but I'm not holding my breath on the fun part. Honestly, the real reason I was tagged to do this is because I have a computer - seriously! Apparently it's a bunch of older, computerless people that order from this co-op. All of a sudden this week I started to get phone calls and envelopes in the mail with shaky, proper-cursived order lists. One of the orders is for almost $700 worth of items - I'm thinking I really don't want that kind of responsibility.

Paul didn't think I should take on one more thing. But then he added, "However, if the boys could be trained to do this, I think it would be good for them." So - here I am, the new Pleasantville Vittles Co-op Coordinator, long may she reign...

Said Coordinator is feeling better this week. My back worked itself back into place after about 5 days. Fortunately, I did not have to take the time or $ to run out to the chiropractor's. It's still a little achy, but not what it was. And my mouth is finally beginning to feel better. I did stop by the dentist's on Monday to see what was going on. He said it was a massive canker sore at the base of the left side of my tongue causing all the problems. Wow. I was having some real empathy for the early Christians who had their tongues cut out of their heads for spreading the Gospel. If a canker sore was giving me such problems, I can only imagine the agony of having one's tongue cut out. I bet they didn't use anesthesia, either.

Paul had a fun week. He got 6 new John Deere tractors. He's never gotten that many at once before. I'm talking toys - not real ones. Our yard isn't that big! There are two bigger ones - about 18" long and then 4 smaller ones, about 8" long or so. I have this "friend" on Facebook that I don't even really know personally (which I now have decided that unless I know somebody personally, I'm not going to accept any more friend requests - this is getting ridiculous, people asking to be my friend, simply because we went to the same college at the same time or we both have ties to the same Christian school, even though our paths never once crossed. But I digress...). Anyway, her husband was parting with some of his tractor collection and she was looking for buyers. I made the mistake of mentioning this to Paul. And now we have more tractors! It's his Father's Day present - his more-expensive-than-the-shirt-or-video-Father's Day-present that he normally gets. But he's pretty tickled. He had to go unearth all his other tractors the other night and line them up on the kitchen table with his new acquisitions. He told me we don't even have to go out to eat this year for Father's Day - we can just pick up a Papa Murphy's pizza or something. Well, that will definitely off-set the price of his gift! Sheesh... Seriously, though, I'm happy for him. He deserves it. Most years he tosses his birthday money into our account rather than spending it on himself. He's not one to treat himself.

Well, that kitchen floor isn't going to mop itself - I was thinking about the Jetsons this week and remembering Rosie the Robot. I need her. She could mop my floor and do all the other things I don't want to. So - I need to go take care of that. I have a little bit more to write and then I'll be all caught up again - for a few days, anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment